Thursday, May 19, 2016

Do what you love; love what you do

I've been really busy this week planting, transplanting, weeding, mowing, finishing up projects, and eating salads, so I haven't started anything new. What I have been doing is thinking about luck and jobs and happiness. I used to think that people who loved their work were lucky, but I am now convinced that most people work hard to find a position in life that makes them get out of bed singing.

I am so happy with my new work that I forget what day it is and don't mind popping out of bed early in the morning. Last Sunday I was hanging out with some good friends talking about how nice it was that it was Saturday night. In my mind it felt like an evening to have fun and celebrate-- in the past I was afflicted with a "Monday dread" that often started as early as Sunday morning, and now I don't always know (or care) what day it is.

It is time well spent to work towards finding something you love to do that fits into the life you want to have. Money is certainly important (my friends and family can tell you that I am a planner and a saver and I love to stretch my dime!). That said, if taking a pay cut or having one person in a relationship step away from a paying job makes everyone happier and more sane, then it's well worth it. Life it too darn short to dread Mondays and waste every Sunday being unhappy. 


A week at the urban farm in photos

We've had a really cool May, but I think the raspberry harvest will be just fine.



Radish season is almost over (until fall) but salad greens are still going strong!

I transplanted these teeny tiny tomatoes a few days early and protected them from frost with mason jars. Many people's tomatoes have died, so I am feeling lucky to have waited.

As of this week, the gardens at home are mostly planted. Peppers, okra, winter squash, and other hot weather veggies will go in at the end of May.

The solar powered automatic coop door is a hit with the humans!


Farmer's Market Find of the Week

I like to see what's hot at the farmer's market (both to think about what I might sell someday and also to find the value of what I am working on). This delicious 16 oz. jar of spicy sweet pickles was $5.25.

2 comments:

Douglas Clegg said...

Leilani -- this is how Raul and I have lived for many years. We never dread Mondays because Mondays ARE in fact potentially Saturdays. However -- as you know at this point if you didn't know before Two Wheels Farm -- every day is work. But if it's hard work you love, sometimes part of it is play and part of it is therapy, too.

The farm looks like it's going great so far!

-- Doug

Unknown said...

Amen to work being both play and therapy!