Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Planning, planning, planning

Some deep thoughts from a very long bike ride with way too much time to think!

Ok, it's true. I am a big planner and the nerd of the family. I like to spend time in Excel spreadsheets and really know my numbers. This is why when on my bike ride across Iowa (RAGBRAI) someone said, "you're just lucky to be able to afford to stay out of the workforce and live your [urban farm] lifestyle," I had to stop and think about how we grew the urban farm from idea to reality. Maybe it was part luck (isn't everything?) but we did plan for a long time.

So much corn in Iowa ...

After some thinking I did during the hours and hours I spent each day peddling roads along corn fields in Iowa, I decided to share my thoughts on how my family made this urban farm and homesteading lifestyle doable and sustainable, and perhaps I can help someone else find their path.

1. The most important thing we have done is get out of debt. For us this was the only way we could realistically live on one salary and allow me to leave my regular 8 to 5 gig. In our situation, we spent about 10 years paying off all of our student loans, car loans, and eventually even our mortgage. Basically my entire salary and a good chunk of my SOs salary went to paying extra payments each month. We were fortunate to both have steady work during this time (and for that I am very thankful) and we were also living the St. Vinney's Thrift Shop, save up and pay cash, one-car family, Dave Ramsey beans and rice, rice and beans lifestyle.

2.  Secondly, we live in a house that has a farmable yard. Of course, you can grow some food almost anywhere (patio, windowsill, straw bale), but it is helpful to have the right amount of space to accommodate how much food you want to grow. Ample sunshine and access to water is crucial (even for a very small space plants need to have good light). And if animals are in your plan, learn the rules of your town and neighborhood. If you rent, you'll want to make sure that your landlord is onboard as well.

3. This certainly isn't romantic, but health insurance is also really important. Anyone who has run their own small business or even decided to stay home with the kids knows that buying health insurance can be a big financial drain. Having a spouse with insurance has been a great money saver.

4. Lastly, it's important to know what you want out of life. Before you quit your job to live off the land, think about what things in life make you happy. For example, I have friends who like to eat out often. If you are growing your own food, will staying home to cook all that produce fit in with what you like to do? Trying out the new budget before you dive into your new life (and out of the work force) is really helpful while you're doing some soul searching.


This week at the urban farm


Beautiful Black Swallowtail caterpillar found in the urban farm this morning.

I came home to find that some of the pullets now have real combs!

Onion harvesting and curing is underway.

The pressure canner is my new favorite toy. I'm really looking forward to harvesting and processing tomatoes into sauce, whole tomatoes, and salsas. Tomatillos, too!

No comments: