Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Chicken dinner

We here at the urban farm are a multi-generational household. My parents are big fans of the hens (or as they call them, "the girls") and are, in fact, the reason we have chickens. I had been talking about possibly keeping hens for years, so for my birthday this year they broke down and gave me a coop. I say "broke down," because at first they weren't big fans of the idea of chickens in the city. But now things have changed. My mom even has a Buff Orpington who must have imprinted on her early. The bird now thinks she is her mother and follows her around incessantly.


Two Australorps and a Buff enjoying a zucchini.

So it was surprising to me when my dad texted the other day asking if I'd like to have chicken and dumplings for dinner. I believe the text read something like, "you provide the Australorp and I'll make dinner." What?!? Was he saying we should eat one of our hens (who are just now barely starting to earn their keep by laying eggs)?


Not sure they are really sweet or docile. But they are beautiful.

Apparently my parents have noticed that the chickens have been doing some singing. Now that they are laying a few eggs, the hens (mostly the Australorps) sing what is called an egg song. Every heard one? You would definitely know it! Here's an example I found (hopefully I can catch mine in the act one day soon and film it for posterity): egg song. They only do this once a day, so it's hard to catch.

I enjoy living in town and actually like to hear our neighborhood's sounds--song birds, playing dogs, a bicycle bell, the owl that wakes me up occasionally, happy children, the trash truck, and even the noisy geese as they make their final decent to the pond on fall evenings. So I hope my parents and neighbors can find some joy in their song.

Have a great week everyone!


Psst... check out my Instagram photos! (Click that little blue button at the top right of this page)

1 comment:

Julie said...

I never knew that was what that was called. I have heard that many, many times, but didn't know it had a name. What this farm kid is learning from the urban farmer!