Monday, January 30, 2017

Products for the discriminating urban farmer

Stitch Fix, My Beauty Box, Five Four Club, Styling On... these monthly clothing services keep popping up in my Facebook feed and on other internet marketing (likely because they know I am not up on the latest fashions). For those of you who can remember them, these services remind me of the Columbia House CD club!

But these mail order clothes services got me to thinking...what utilitarian, comfortable, functional, long-lasting items would I want to come in the mail? These clubs always ask about your current style preferences, so here is a list of some items I love. Anything on this list you like or need? Can you recommend any must-have products for me?


Good boots. Some people work in flip flops or bare feet or old tennis shoes, but I prefer to keep my toes fully enclosed. I've had some near misses (urban farming requires the use of hoes and harvest knifes, and there are always those pecking chickens) so my toes are safer in boots.


A good pair of rubber boots are perfect for winter or working in the chicken coop. This Servus pair was amazingly inexpensive at Blain's Farm and Fleet, but they have held up well.

For dry chores I love my Red Wing boots. They are comfy as a pair or sneakers.


Warm coat. Winter is cold and it's often chilly and rainy in the spring and fall. Also, urban farm chores are messy and I really don't want to wear my "town" jacket do messy work. It's good to have a dedicated chore coat.

A Carhartt Active Jac with quilted flannel is the perfect remedy for early morning chores in the cold months. They come in a large variety of women's and men's sizes and many colors.



Long-lasting tools. I've learned over the years that it never pays to have cheap tools. I buy inexpensive things when I need to, but when I can, I invest in products that will last a while and do the job well.
These are my favorite small, sharp, hand tools. The fixed blade Buck knife on the left is easy to clean and good for harvesting. The foldable Gerber knife is my "do everything" tool and is with me all the time. The Pampered Chef shears were stolen from my kitchen and have never gone back. They are super sharp and great for pruning tomatoes, among many things.


A sturdy bike. Living in the city allows me to run errands by bike. Being able to live a more sustainable life is one of the main reasons I chose to stay living in town and farm here.

This one can haul trailers of supplies or help me run quick grocery shopping errands. 


Little luxury. Not only does this wallet give someone a job and reuse a grain bag, every time I pull it out it reminds me of summer, of growing, of enjoying the harvest.
This is my splurge item-- a fair trade, Cambodian-made, recycled "Harvest" wallet from the Willy Street Co-Op. Although I bought it at the store, I'm pretty sure this is the website if you want one, too.

No comments: