Tuesday, January 3, 2017

So, what do you do?

At a party last week, a good friend introduced me to a woman, and in doing so told the woman a few things about me, including that I am an urban farmer. The woman was very kind and interested and asked many questions about the urban farm, including where my plots are, what I grow, and where I'm planning to sell produce this summer. We talked about bed building, keeping chickens, vegetable selection, and how I'm looking forward to a busy spring season. After all of this discussion, she posed the question, "so, what do you do?" I looked at her, probably with one of my scrunchy, screwed up faces that people say I make when confused or irritated, and she added, "I mean, what is your job?"

*Sigh*

I get this sometimes, and I am am reminded that "urban farmer" isn't a typical job description (it's never an option in a form's occupation pull-down box). It's also a society norm to ask people what their paying jobs are. So instead of feeling resentful that she thinks my vocation isn't a "real job," I've decided to be thankful that I am in a position to be able to farm without having to support my family financially-- though I do take feeding my family seriously, and with good business practices I'm hoping that my market business will be solvent!

With that, some things I will be working on in 2017:

Be thankful every day. I will find 2 or 3 things every day to be thankful for, big or small. Concentrating on these will keep life in perspective.

This cartoon my mom had made really sums up what I have to be thankful for!

Today I'm thankful for indoor grow lights. I originally set them up to grow transplants for summer, but they have filled the dark winter with light and leafy veggies. And if these flowers work out, tomatoes, too!

Make my own bread. This is something I really enjoy doing, so I want to prioritize it. Also, it gives me satisfaction to know I can pronounce all of the ingredients in my recipes, and I love the way baking bread makes the house smell like a home.

This is a King Arthur Flour recipe that I have been making recently. It toasts up great, too!

Homemade stollen-- a new holiday tradition. And another King Arthur recipe.

Organize the garage. Since the garage serves many purposes for us (barn, tool shed, bike storage, carport) it needs an organization upgrade. I'm happy to say that we can fit our car and my parents' car in the garage as well as all of our bikes. That said, starting this spring our two-car garage is also going to be our urban farm pack shed, and I have big hopes of putting a vegetable refrigerator (probably an old beer cooler) out there.


The organizational system needs a 2017 reboot!

Keep a list of books read. A list will help me go back if I need to review some piece of important information. I will also keep a list of books I want to read. Most importantly, I plan to not always give in to the easiest thing when I'm tired, and instead turn off the television or the internet and read!


Winter is a great time to cozy up with a good book.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading this one. I would say from a first-hand view, that you never stop! You didn't mention everyday things like taking care of your home, making sure Sarah gets places, volunteering at the Church, and so much more! And, then, there are always biking activities, including volunteering to work at bike events. Whew! You're a busy lady!!! 😀

Unknown said...

Thanks, Mom!